Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Idol Envy: Top 9 The Long and Winding Road + Elimination Night




This week the Top 9 will tackle the Songs of Lennon/McCarthy. Since this week was mentorless, the producers used that time to allow the contestant to give us the audience a little inside peak on their interactions. (like I really care.)

Now onto the good stuff....

Aaron Kelly ~ The Long and Winding Road
Aaron started out rough, he had pitch problems throughout the song. I felt like this song didn't fit his voice, was a little to big for him. Overall, it was a bit boring. He needs to switch things up. The past few weeks he has been giving us the same performance; I want to see a new side of his personality, one with a little more energy. He will be in jeopardy this week of going home.

Katie Stevens ~ Let It Be
This is a huge song, can little miss Katie pull it off? Katie gave this song her all and I thought she sounded beautiful. This was the right song for her and she did it justice. Katie is growing up before our eyes, she's becoming quite the individual and artist. Great job.

Andrew Garcis ~ Can't Buy Me Love
Andrew has always given off a rockabilly vibe and tonight his performance oozed it. I don't know what to think about the performance as a whole. It was extremely cheesy, but in a good way. Vocally, he sounded good, not great. The performance was high energy, which is a plus.

Michael Lynche ~ Eleanor Rigby
This is my favorite Beatles song; Michael don't fuck it up!! This is probably my favorite performance by Michael, I am digging this rendition. This is the Michael I enjoy watching, love song Michael bores me.

Crystal Bowersox ~ Come Together
This was the right song, really the only song she should have done. This was a killer performance with amazing vocals. The complete package. Mama Sox is taking this competition by storm.

Tim Urban ~ All My Lovin'
Tim is a funny one. I can't help but love this guy. This week he wasn't bad, his voice and hair style was a throw back to the fifties and sixties. This was a straightforward performance and I will admit I bobbed my head along to the song.

Casey James ~ Jealous Guy
This is the first time I actually enjoyed Casey's performance. This was the perfect song for him, vocally I was reminded of Eddie Veder, and he showed off a different side of him: a gentle side. This is by far Casey's best performance. Was this enough to convert me, not completely but I enjoyed him more than I have in the past.

Siobhan Magnus ~ Across the Universe
This is my second favorite Beatles song. Ms. Siobhan was simply magificent; she looked stunning and sounded amazing, and she did not belt out a single note. The judges said it was sleepy, I won't call it sleepy, it was more like a lullaby.

Lee Dewyze ~ Hey Jude
This week I felt Lee maintained; this performance was middle of the pack. He had the energy, but vocally I felt nothing special. Don't get me wrong, I do think he sounded good, but I just wanted more. The past few weeks he's had some killer performances and I wanted this one to be on that level. Overall I think he'll be around next week.

So, Beatles night is over and done. Elimination will be tricky this week, will have to think hard and review.


*************************************************************************************

It's Elimination Night and after thinking about it over and discussing last night's performance with friends I feel the following three will be in trouble, Aaron, Tim, and Andrew (Lee might possibly replace one of these three).

Ryan is promising shocking results, let's see how true.

Ryan brings the final three girls center stage first and informs Crystal she is safe. Leaving Katie and Siobhan to wonder if one of them is in the bottom, luckily neither are in the bottom both are safe.

Ryan then splits the guys into two groups:
Group A is Lee, Casey, and Tim
Group B is Michael, Aaron, and Andrew.

Based on their performances last night, I'm thinking Group B is in trouble, and I am right. Ryan tells Aaron he is safe (I thought Aaron was the one to go) leaving Michael and Andrew center stage. Judging by their previous performances throughout the competition I think Andrew is saying bye-bye... I was wrong. Big Mike had the lowest votes?? I'm shocked (Ryan was right) Eleanor Rigby may not have been Michael's best performance but I didn't think it was the worst of the night.

For his farewell song he chose to sing A Woman's Worth, remember this is the song that brought Kara to tears, and of course Michael killed it. This is the right song for his voice, I'm not a huge fan of love song Michael, but he did an amazing job.
The judges voted and agreed that it was great and used the save to keep Michael in another week.

Since the save was used this week it is no longer in play. This means next week we say goodbye to two Idol hopefuls.

~ ENVY OUT

No comments:

Post a Comment