Wednesday, March 9, 2011

IDOL ENVY IS BACK!!!



That's right kids, I'm back. And just in time for this week's Top 13 performance. Now, I did watch last week's results show and got a chance to listen to the "wild cards" sing and honestly the only one that caught my attention was Naima. So with a fresh ear, I'll be giving you all my thoughts on the lucky 13.

This week's theme was to sing a song by the contestants personal Idol, let's see how they did.

Lauren Alaina
Idol: Shaina Twain & Song: Any Man of Mine

Not the best way to start the show, it was kinda karaokeish. I think You're Still the One would have been a better song to sing since that song would have showcased her tone. If Lauren does stick around she will need to take it to the next level, a pretty voice only gets you so far in this competition.

Casey Abrams
Idol: Joe Crocker & Song: A Little Help From My Friends

I'm not a fan of the beard, but I can overlook that since you gave a damn fine performance. Casey is a natural on the stage and has great charm/charisma. A very solid performance, Lauren dear, I'd be worried.

Ashton Jones
Idol: Diana Ross & Song: When You Tell Me You Love Me

I'm gonna be honest, Ashton did not wow me last week with her version of And I'm Telling You and tonight was the same. She's trying to hard to give us Diva, honey just sing. Yes she has great stage presence, a lovely voice and can hit a Power Note when she needs to, but her lower registry is just so/so. There is a good chance she'll stick around but not quite sure just how long.

Paul McDonald
Idol: Ryan Adams & Song: Come Pick Me Up

Okay Paul, I'm not a fan of Ryan Adams and I'm pretty sure most of Middle America has no clue has who he is too, so I'm gonna be worried about this week.
The pros: very nice and unique voice; looked great; he's different
The cons: boring performance

Pia Toscano
Idol: Celine Dion & Song: All By Myself

You know there are certain songs and singers you get tired of hearing butchered of shows that this and Celine is probably number 1 on that list. I will say Pia sang it well but to me there was nothing new brought to the song. Again, Power Notes were her friends and she will most likely return next week.

James Durbin
Idol: Paul McCarthy & Song: Maybe I'm Amazed

I believe I found my Idol crush for the season, what a freaking cutie!
And he can SING!! A boy after my own heart. This was a solid performance and yes, he is this season's Adam Lambert (which isn't a bad thing). James is very diverse and am looking forward to what he'll do next. Oh, and I totally loved when he smiled and winked at the camera, swoooooon!

Hayley Reinhart
Idol: LeAnne Rimes & Song: Blue

I mentioned earlier about Power Notes and how some of these ladies rely heavy on them, while Hayley here doesn't need to. This girl can sing and I was loving the roughness/scruffiness in her throat. Great tone.
Randy said he thought the song was sleepy, my response, take a nap!

Jacob Lusk
Idol: R. Kelly & Song: I Believe I Can Fly

Here's another one of those Idol song that seem to pop up every year at some point in the competition, but Jacob did try to make it his own. He started off a little shakey but found his footing. Man, this boy has a crazy range and can give Ashton and Pia a run for their money in the Power Note department. Best day in church ever!

Thia Megia
Idol: Michael Jackson & Song: Smile

What Thia has going for her is an amazing tone that is beautifully showcased when she goes Acapella. She has a lot of potential and will do well. But I do believe the pressures of this show is going to take a toll on her sooner rather than later. You saw last week when she was getting her results how shaken up she was and again tonight in her post performance interview her nerves were showing. Being 15 and on a competition like this is never a good combination.

Stefano Langone
Idol: Stevie Wonder & Song: Lately

Again, I wasn't blown away with his "wild card" performance from last week and didn't think he should have been given a spot. So, with that said I think he'll make it through because he did an okay job with the song and was hitting those Power Notes. I do think the dance beat was out of place and I was not surprised when Jennifer praised his performance.

Karen Rodriguez
Idol: Selena & Song: I Could Fall In Love

Chicana Pride! When I heard she was doing Selena I kinda wanted her to sing Bidi Bidi Bom Bom; maybe she won't have struggled so much. There were a lot of problems with the performance and honestly was not feeling it at all, she's gonna be in trouble.

Scotty McCreety
Idol: Garth Brooks & Song: The River

His voice kinda freaks me out, damn that is DEEP! His voice aside, Scotty gave a very solid performance. He is country all the way and I am not the demographic that will be calling in for me.

Naima Adedapo
Idol: Rihanna & Song: Umbrella

Okay, I'm super surprised that Rihanna is her Idol. That aside, the song was pitchy. but I so enjoyed it. Loved the dance moves, loved the Jamaican rap in the middle, and I loved the energy that she was giving us. It ended the show nicely. Whether she makes it through will be up to you America!

Okay kids, final thoughts are that the Guys brought their A game tonight. Like every season song choice is always key, why can't they remember that??

I can see the following in danger to go home tomorrow: Paul, Stefano, Ashton, Lauren A, and Karen.

My precious votes went to James and Naima!

ENVY OUT!

No comments:

Post a Comment