Thursday, March 17, 2011

Idol Envy: S10 Top 12 - Song List & Results Show

The night started on a serious note, in light of recent events in Japan all proceeds from Itunes downloads of last night's Idol performances will be going to the American Red Cross, so you should go download at least one song from last night to help the cause.

Now onto the show, last night's theme was Songs the contestants birth year, with the oldest contestants this year being 26!

Naima Adedapo started the night off with the Tina Turner classic "What's Love got to do with it" from the year 1984! I like that Naima is taking risks by doing these big songs, but I don't think this is where she's most comfortably. She was pitchy throughout the performance, and I was worried when she started because it was terrible; she so much better than what she's been giving us. Girlfriend is in trouble this week because being inconstant sends you home.

Also from 1984 comes Paul McDonald with the Elton John hit, "I guess that's why they call it the blues". Now Paul was under the weather and he did struggle a little bit with some of the notes, but overall he did a stellar job. He has amazing stage presence and I can easily see him as a front man for some band.

Thia Megia took me back to my freshmen year of high school (1995) with her rendition of Vanessa Williams "Colors of the Wind" from Disney's Pocahontas. What Thia had going for her with this performance was that it was beautifully staged; she gave a steady/solid performance but it was safe and boring. I'm waiting for her to show us more than just the ballads. I know you have a beautiful voice, let's see some personality, sing outside the box. Thia will last another week, so hopefully we'll get to see a different side to her.

James Durbin, born in 1989, gave us some Bon Jovi with "I'll be there for you". Now, I know the boy has been compared to Adam Lambert and tonight that's who he was channelling (naughty thought just popped in my mind... hee hee hee) okay back to business, overall I was not in love with this performance, but his killer high note was awesome and the fact that Steven Tyler said he'd sing with James if he made it to the final is reason enough to vote in through another week. and Steven said it best, James is a rich vein of inner crazy.

Okay, Hayley Reinhart brought the first of the two Whitney Houston songs that were featured last night. When I had Whitney and 1990 my mind went straight to The Bodyguard and I Will Always Love You and I was like please don't try and tempted that. Lucky for me, she didn't and went with "I'm your baby tonight", which is one of my favorite songs by Miss Houston. And honestly, Hayley was all over the place, very pitchy and sounded off, and poor girl was having lipstick malfunctions to boot. The best part of the performance was the bridge and her end notes, but I don't think that will be enough to save her from tonight's bottom three.

Oh, Stefano Langone, I don't want to like you, I don't know why you bug me, you just do. But damn it, was that not a fracking amazing performance?? Stefano killed Simply Red's 1989 it "If you don't know me". That was the best performance of the night and guaranteed him through to next weeks show.

Pia Toscano also had a great performance with the other Whitney Houston classic, 1988's "Where do broken hearts go?" But honestly, thinking back, it's this performance I can't remember. Pia has a great voice but isn't quite as memorable as some of the other contestants, she'll last but not sure how long.

And then there's Scotty McCreery, who of course did country proud with his version of Travis Triat's 1993 song, "Can I trust my heart?" Of all the guys I think Scotty has the best tone,but if you close your eyes and just listen Scotty's voice sounds like every other male country artist out there, so I'm torn with this guy. I do want to see him tackle other genres and countrify them, especially Disco.

Karen Rodriquez, doing her better J-Lo impression, sang Taylor Dayne's 1989 hit "Love will lead us back" I'm sorry, Karen, but love ain't leading you anywhere but the bottom 3. The girl is trying... way to hard to be J-Lo, I get it she's her Idol, but enough I want to see more Karen. Aside from the weak performance, the outfit was awful and did not work with her song choice, if she was singing Disco, she had the outfit. Even through this performance was a slight and I mean slight better performance than last week, girlfriend is in trouble.

Casey, Casey, Casey, took balls taking on Nirvana's first hit 1991's "Smells like teen spirit". Was it a risk that paid off? Not quite sure, the combination of the stage lighting (which was a cool yellowish color), Casey's intense facial expressions and the fact he has a red beard made it kind of a creepy performance. I wonder if you play that performance backwards what would happen??

Lauren Alaina went to Melissa Etheridge's classic "I'm the only one" as you birth year song (1994). I love that she brought a country feel to the song and Lauren was twenty times better than she was last week. I loved it and she made a fan out of me.

We end the night with Jacob Lusk and Heart's "Alone" (1987). This is a big song and Jacob has the voice to do it proud but something was off. The arrangement was off to me and Jacob struggled to keep the pace, even the high note didn't work. I don't know what Randy was listening/watching because I felt Jacob missed the mark with this one.

My guesses for the Bottom 3: Karen, Hayley, & Naima

My votes went to James and Lauren.

AND THE RESULTS.....
So, I missed the actually show and in my search to find a video, which I couldn't find because no one's posted anything yet, I found out who got the boot.

My guesses for the bottom 3 were on the money this week and of the 3 Karen was my choice to say goodbye and she was! No judge's save tonight (thank you judges). So here's to next week...

~ENVY OUT

No comments:

Post a Comment