Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Idol Envy: Top 24 pt. 1 - This is Ladies Night



Now that the Top 24 finalist/judges favorites have been chosen, it's now our turn to judge this years crop of Idol hopefuls. Last time around my not so little obsession with one Adam Lambert fueled my Idol passion, this year no one's done that just yet. I'm hoping that following tonight and tomorrow's performances a few contestants will break from the pack and gain my vote. Plus can't wait to see how Ellen does!

~ Paige Miles performed It's Alright Now
I'm not sure what I thought of her performance; I didn't love it or hate it. Paige has a voice, which will most likely get her into the next round and I see the potential in her. Song choice, did not care for it, I may come to like Paige if she leaves Classic Rock the other girls.

~ Ashley Rodriguez performed Happy
I only know one Leona Lewis song, and this ain't it. Vocally, Ashley reminded me to much of Leona; I feel she played it very safe this round and stayed in her own comfort zone. She's only the second contestant in and I'm not having positive thoughts that she'll be back next week.

~ Janell Wheller performed What About Love
I liked her rendition of Estelle's American Boy during her Hollywood week audition and think she has a nice voice. She may even become a favorite. But this song was a bit shaky most of the number and it did not have the same uniqueness as her previous auditions. I don't think she'll have a problem getting into the next round, we'll see if she can sustain.

~ Lilly Scott performed Fixing a Hole
Lilly's voice is unique and easily stands out, very refreshing. By choosing an unknown Beatles song will definitely help her move on in the competition. She will easily make the Top 6, and if America does not fuck it up I can see her possibly make it to the very end. Plus I'm digging the silver blond hair

~ Katelyn Epperly performed Oh Darling!
Katelyn has a beautiful voice, smoky, and very country-esque. I love Madonna retro outfit, but it did not work with her voice, she looked a bit whorish. Her makeover needs a make-under. She'll last another week.

~ Hayley Vaughn performed I Want to Hold Your Hand
I liked Hayley in her initial audition, a black girl singing country. Even though I enjoyed this performance, I did find moments were her voice got schreechy. Hayley has potential and has a shot at making it to the next round, depending on votes.

~ Lacey Brown performed Landslide
My initial thoughts were full of love, the love died down. I still think Lacey had a great performance and hope she makes it into the next round. I don't agree with the judges critiques 100%, but understand where they are coming from. I want Lacey to make it another round, I loved her energy and vibe.

~ Michelle Delamar performed Falling
Yes, Michelle has an amazingly beautiful voice and she did a good job on the song. Problem was the song and her look emulated Alicia Keys too much. She played it safe and will mostly get her through to the next round, but she needs to step it up if she hopes to make the top 6.

~ Didi Benhami performed The Way I Am
Once the song stated I knew which song Didi was signing, the problem I had was it sounded to much like the original, again it was very safe. She may make it to next week, but top 6 may not be in her future.

~ Siobhan Magnus performed Wicked Games
I wasn't expecting that voice, Lovin' it! I thought Siobhan's performance was solid and haunting. Easily my favorite of the night, she might possible be my favorite of the season. I do fear the judges critiques may sway some voters to not call for her, fingers are crossed that she'll be around next week.

~Crystal Bowersox performed Hand in My Pocket
Crystal is not my style, a little too folky for my taste; but she does have a great voice and will easily make it to the next round. Vocally, I didn't quite get the Alanis vibe from her, my initial thoughts went to the Indigo Girls, but I did see the "coffee shop" singer the judges were saying she needed to break away from. The safe comfort zone doesn't get you the prize in the end.

~ Katie Stevens performed Feelin' Good
When I heard Katie's initial audition of At Last, I knew she would make it this far. I love her old soul voice, in the past young girls with that mature voice have done pretty well in the competition. Her version of Feelin Good was a bit shaky in areas, but overall good. Katie has an amazing voice and hopefully she'll get a chance to show the judges a more youthful performance next week.


I kept hearing that this round of girls were gonna be hard to beat, after tonight only a small handful lived up to that hype. Many played it safe and that makes it hard to figure out which of these 12 deserves to be eliminated.

I think the following girls are in trouble:
Ashley Rodriguez
Hayley Vaughn
Janell Wheller
Lacey Brown
Didi Benhami
Katie Stevens

So who got my vote: Lacey Brown & Siobhan Magnus.

We'll see how this all plays out Thursday night.

Harry Envy OUT!!


FOLLOW @HarryEnvy on TWITTER

No comments:

Post a Comment