Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Idol Envy: Top 20 pt. 1 - This is a Man's World


Idol did the old switcheroo this week; the girls were originally scheduled to perform but were switched to tomorrow due to contestant Crystal Bowersox taking ill.

So, last week many of the gents were trying way to hard to stand out, they did... in a bad way. Let's see if the nerves have calmed down and the song choices got better.

Michael Lynche - This is a Man's World
Michael has the stage presence of an Idol. I did think he was trying a bit too hard to prove to the judges he wasn't opening act material, he succeeded. America and the judges love him, he'll be back next week.

John Park - Gravity
When will Idol hopefuls stop singing John Mayer??? The positive: John chose the right song to sing and did a much better job doing so. The negative: it was safe, John is not a big personality compared to some of the other contestants, and is very easily lost in the crowd. Chances are slim for John making it another week.

Casey James - I Don't Want to Be
Well, Hello Rock God. Casey made this song is own and I am digging the voice, but I felt he was trying too hard this week. Last week, he did great. This week I agree with Kara; it seemed like he didn't advance forward and like Ellen said, he was stiff, even a bit unsure. Where was that laid back open shirted Casey from last week? Regardless Casey will return next week thanks to the Cougars of America.

Alex Lambert - Everybody Knows
I really like Alex, he is easily becoming a favorite, plus his dorkiness is kind of a turn on. Performance wise, much better than last week. His nerves have calmed down and we are seeing the potential in him. I do think Alex need a new hair style, but other than that he's in the clear for next week.

Todrick Hall - What's Love Got to do With It
Last week Todrick murdered Kelly Clarkson, this week I felt he did Tina Turner justice. Todrick can sing and he showed us what he is capable of. Yes, it was a big song for him and I like that he is taking risks. The judges weren't feeling this performance which puts Todrick in jeopardy of going home because a lot of America listens to what Simon has to say. We'll see how it turns out on Thursday's results show.

Jermaine Sellers - What's Going On
What's going on is right. Jermaine has a very nice voice, but this rendition was not great. He is still playing it safe, I don't see him making it past this week.

Andrew Garcia - You Give Me Something
I don't know why I think of Danny Gokey everytime Andrew opens his mouth, these thoughts are not pleasant. Vocally, Andrew has one of the best voices this season; I just wasn't feeling this performance - I was bored tonight. I think Andrew deserves a spot in the Top 12, hopefully America agrees.

Aaron Kelly - My Girl
The ball of nerves we saw last week have vanished. Aaron delivered one of the best performances of the night. He has potential and I want to see him make it into the Top 12.

Tim Urban - Come on Get Higher
Tim needed to sing GOLD this week, this performance got the Bronze in my book. An improvement from last week (that was awful). Song choice was perfect for him, I just felt like it came off a little preachy; it's one of those songs you'd find on those WOW Christian compilations. It's hard to judge whether Tim will survive another week, he's cute and with Simon commenting on his improvement he may get a few extra votes. Side note: Ellen is soooo right, Tim needs to join the cast of GLEE, just so I can look at his dreamy blue eyes 24/7.

Lee Dewyze - Lips of an Angel
Lee is this season's "rocker". He has a very unique voice, perfect for those rockish ballads. I did see some nerves tonight, but it's due to him leaving his comfort zone (which these contestants need to do in the competition). This was the perfect song for Lee and it secured him a spot in the Top 12.

Overall, most of the guys showed vast improvements from last week. Some song choices were perfect but the vocals were not up to par. It's going to be hard to tell who's going home on this week's results show, but I feel the feeling are in danger;
John Park
Todrick Hall
Jermaine Sellers
Tim Urban

My precious votes went to Alex Lambert, Aaron Kelly, and Andrew Garcia.
OK I threw Tim Urban a few votes too, what?? Have you seen how cute he is??

~ ENVY OUT!

No comments:

Post a Comment