Thursday, March 4, 2010

Idol Envy: Top 20 pt. 2 - What a Girl Wants




Our Top 10 girls take the stage and let's see who can deliver the goods and who fails to breakout of their safety zones.

Crystal Bowersox - As Long as I Can See the Light
Crystal cleans up well. I'm reminded of Bonnie Rait with this performance. Crystal has one of the best voices in the competition and proves that she has staying power. This is what we want to see; contestants moving forward and challenging themselves.

Hayley Vaughn - The Climb
I think Hayley is adorable, I like her personality and find her to be fun and bubbly. But her age is starting to show, she's young and does need a few more years to train her voice. Even through I felt she did a good job, the song was pitchy. This may be the end of the road for Hayley, we'll see what America decides.

Lacey Brown - Kiss Me
Lacey took Kara's recommendation by sing Kiss Me and it was an improvement from last week's performance. This song fitted Lacey's voice, but it wasn't the best performance. I like Lacey and want her to stay, she needs to step up her game.

Katie Stevens - Put Your Records On
Comparing Katie to Hayley, I feel Katie has the better chance at lasting longer in this competition. Katie has a richness to her voice that makes you forget she's only 17. I don't think this was the right song for her, but nonetheless she'll live to sing again.

Didi Benami - Lean On Me
Ok, Didi has a nice voice, I was not digging her rendition of Lean on Me. I see her potential but feel like she's still playing it safe; get out of the comfort zone! Simon made her cry, which I find funny, but this is a great way to gain some sympathy votes out of America.

Michelle Delamor - With Arms Wide Open
Michelle took a risk with this song and I feel it paid off, sort of. She played it safe last week and tonight she stepped out of her comfort zone; something I'd like all the contestants to do. Her last note was not great, but I think she'll be around for another week.

Lilly Scott - A Change is Gonna Come
Lilly has one of the most unique voices of the season. She understands the importance of song choice; she's been choosing some great songs to perform for her vocally styling. One of the best girls in the competition. I see Lilly lasting a long time.

Katelyn Epperly - The Scientist
Katelyn has a very nice voice and this was a very good song for her; plus she was wearing a much better outfit - I love her retro style. Yes, this song came off slow, but it's a slow song. There's potential here and she will easily make Top 12.

Paige Miles - Walk Away
I waver with Paige, I think she's good, but I'm not wowed by her. She has energy and shows it when she performs. The problem, this song was too big for her. If she survives another week, I'm not sure what she can do to enter into the Top 12.

Siobhan Magnus - Think
I LOVE Siobhan!!! She is my favorite of the season. She chose a challenging song and nailed it; that last note was killer. There were a few problems, but I overlooked them. This dark horse is the one to watch.

Overall, a few girls have shown what they can do (Crystal, Lilly and Siobhan) and have shown the other girls they are a force to be reckoned with. We saw better song choices this week and some risks, but many did not pay off in the end. Stop playing it safe, ladies, break out of your comfort zone and move forward!

The following girls are in jeopardy of leaving this week:
Hayley Vaughn
Did Benami
Paige Miles
Katie Stevens

The following girls would have gotten my vote, if I had watched the show on time - Siobhan Magnus, Lilly Scott, Lacey Brown

~ ENVY OUT!

No comments:

Post a Comment